Today George had a tough day. It started off with him hitting Charlie on the head with his sippy cup first thing this morning. Then he had a really hard time going down for his nap. About 30 minutes after I put him down I went in to see what all the ruckus was about and found him standing in his crib in only his diaper. He had taken off his pants, shirt, and sweat jacket. He smelled poopy so I was just grateful he hadn't taken off his diaper. I changed him and put him back down and he eventually went to sleep but it was rough. Then this evening he wanted to sit in Charlie's bumbo chair and I was trying to get him to take turns with Charlie and he got really mad. I took him upstairs to get ready for bed and he started playing with his shoes and threw a bit of a fit when I made him get his pajamas on. For some reason he really wanted to put on his Converse (he hasn't worn them since Charlie was born because they are really hard to get on and has never before wanted to wear something). He already had his pajamas on so I tried to get him to put on his slippers and he had a total melt down. He was holding his Converse, crying, and saying shoooz, shooz, shooz. I usually don't give into things (especial fits) but we had had such a bad day that I decided, what the hell, lets see what it brings. I put on his shoes and we went outside for a walk. We walked up one of the trails by our house and threw rocks in a gully. We were gone for about 45 minutes and had a great time. When we got back it was 30 minutes past bedtime but it was well worth it and I am glad that we were able to end the night with such a positive interaction. So, while I am not advocating becoming a push over, my lesson for the day was that sometimes it is good to just say what the hell, go with the flow, and see what it brings.
I have a feeling I may be doing a lot of improvising in the near future or at least until I figure out how to deal with George's new found jealousy toward Charlie and his accompanying melt downs. He is still the same happy kid when I am not interacting with Charlie (he doesn't seem to care if I am feeding, dressing, or changing Charlie, just if I am talking to or playing with him) but when I am directing my attention toward Charlie he gets really territorial. I can imagine that when you are only one year old you don't really understand that one day this baby that mom really likes is going to grow up and be your playmate. George is such a good boy and I know things will improve and I also know that Charlie will probably get a few more bonks to the head, but it is stressful when you aren't sure what the best way to respond is and you really want to be a proactive parent and make sure that you aren't doing anything that will make your child feel unloved or scar them for life.
7 comments:
Sounds just like a page right out of our book -- all the way down to Jonah's sudden need to sit in Micah's bumbo chair (Jonah's old one which he hasn't asked for in I can't tell you how long)!
When did this devolpment happen? I thought George didn't care about Charlie. I wouldn't worry about it before you know it they will be playing together and ignoring you. :)
when it rains, it pours...doesn't it?! I hope little George has a better day today!
George's jealousy is a a recent development. When all Charlie did was eat and sleep he didn't mind him. Now that he likes to play he has become a problem for George.
George, George, George...
I wish knew how much I know how you feel. I don't know if it helps, but we all have days like that. Some weeks it feels like we have more than our fair share. You are such a great mom. Your boys are lucky to have a mom who really listens to her instincts.
Amy, You are a wonderful mother in every way. I love the way you responded to George's needs today. It is too bad that each child does not come with an instruction book on how to deal with their particular personality. I think you were guided to do exactly what you did. Going for a walk was a perfect idea. Yes, there will be more fits and tantrums, but there will be far more laughing and joy from our little sweet George. You and Paul have given him a special little brother, lots of love, and a great life to look forward too. Your experience reminded me of Paul when he was very small. We were in a toy store, and he fell in love with a motorcycle. I had to literally pry him off, and we left the store with him screaming all the way home......and yes, I did give in too. He got it for Christmas. I will always be glad that I gave in. He was worth it!!!
You remember the picture of Trev and Trav standing by the snowman with the Reagan Team baseball hat? That was a day similar to the one you had with the George. Darci was a newborn in the house taking a nap with Grandma P. At the time the boys were a little annoyed by her entrance into the family.
I loved that time building the snowman with them. That was all they wanted to do that day. We did it without cleaning their room first, too.
Post a Comment