Wednesday, February 13, 2008

bad gas

George is two and a half and showing no signs, desire or interest in potty training. He is obsessed with animal poop and Charlie's poop but won't acknowledge that he poops. Whenever I ask him if he needs his diaper changed, if he is wet, or if he is poopy the answer is always the same. "No poop mom, gas." Sometimes he adds "Charlie pooping" but always insists that the smell coming from his side of the room is gas. I am not really sure where he learned that gas is better than poop but he is really committed to this theory. Yesterday after work I sat down next to him on the couch and quickly realized that I was sitting in a puddle of something wet. I didn't realize what was going on at first and asked George why he was all wet. He said, "No poop mom, bad gas." There are times when I am changing an especially stinky diaper that George will proclaim "big dog poop diaper." We don't even have a dog.

Obviously George realizes that if he has gas as opposed to the full meal deal he doesn't have to stop what he is doing and get his diaper changed and I admit that I hold my breath and scrunch up my face during certain diaper changes which I am sure doesn't help things from his "no poop" perspective but I really want and need him to start showing some interest in using the potty. I have been planning on setting aside a couple of weeks to dedicate to potty training George this summer (keep in mind that these grandiose plans are coming from a naive, never potty trained before but have read a lot of books mother) but as the summer months draw nearer George seems to be less ready for this major milestone than ever.

15 comments:

Reese said...

Good Luck Amy! Potty Training is the worst......don't listen to those moms who say it can be done in a day. They are lying! I recommend "The New Potty" by Mercer Mayer, it is a cute book (without any mention of gas:) Just don't stress too much, he should have it fugured out by Kindergarten at least!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA Wow, bad gas. I am sorry but that is hilarious. That boy is a genius.

La said...

Hey, I have the "The New Potty" book by Mercer Mayer. Lets just have Zane potty train George. Good idea?

nicole said...

That was so funny! Seriously, I can't stop laughing! I love the "big dog poop" remark. What a smart/hilarious little boy.

Clev Clan said...

If I could choose one motherly duty to give up, it would be potty training. I say use that last pack of diapers and don't look back. And when people tell you that boys are harder than girls, totally not true. Both my boys were way easier than Brooklynn. We'll see about Mason. Good Luck!!

Brooke said...

At least he doesn't say what Rob told Ella one day and now she says it all of the time, "Mom, I went man poop!". She was a breeze to potty train but I have heard Boys are harder than girls so I will not try with Bennett until he shows real interest in it. Because if you're doing it before they're ready....your really making so much more work for yourself. Tons of messes, thrown out underware, and misery! Good luck!

Brooke said...

Oh whoops I just read what the person before me said. Maybe it's just different personalities. Hopefully Bennett will be just as easy. It is really nice that Ella goes all night too in panties and has no problems, I love only buying one set of diapers at Costco.

natalie said...

Well good luck. I think you'll need it. :) I am not look forward to those days.

Tyra said...

I am with Darci that is pretty funny!! He is such a character! Really one of a kind that kid. Maybe he has been hanging out with Trevor and Travis and that is why he thinks gas is better than poop. Has he named his farts yet? If he starts you probably shouldn't allow him to hang out with your brothers any longer. :)

Colle said...

Amy that is hilarious! I honestly have no suggestions for you because Easton was not the easiest kid to train. Easton wouldn't go poop in the potty at first he always did it in his pants because he used a different word. It is "Poopses" to him so once we figured that out it helped a ton. I say good luck and I would try do it before summer if I were you because you are pretty much tied to your house. That is just my thought. Good Luck!

Kyle and Melissa said...

Both of my girls and Austin were easy, but I think it depends upon when they are ready and can understand...with Stockton I decided to wait till he was 3 instead of 2 and that made a huge difference...instead of months of torture and frustration it took a week. I always said it would be worth it to pay someone to do the potty training than to have to deal with it, but I made it through all my kids and I feel very accomplished. Also don't let people put pressure on you..you decide how and when you do it...people can make you feel guilty because it wasn't done the way or at the time they did it. Good Luck!

Emmie-Lew said...

Potty Training is the WORST. BLAH. I'm almost finished training Sami- or is it her training me?? :)
What a fun kid you got! He is a total crack-up! Keep encouraging him, and he'll let you know when he's ready.

Anonymous said...

I have got to meet this kid. Maybe I don't want him hanging around my kids though. It sounds like he could really teach them a thing or two.

Charlotte said...

Hysterical! I love George. His comments and thoughts are so funny. I am so glad that you blogged about the poop. Wait, does that sentence sound right? It was seriously way funny!

Lindsay said...

Good luck and I am so sorry! Potty training is super challenging. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's true. You may have to try several times before he gets it. I love the bad gas comments, he's hilarious!


Family Photo Booth Pic