George's nap time has become a bit of an ordeal lately. I do find George seriously hilarious so it is hard to be frustrated, never-the-less, today I tried a new strategy (suggested to me by Lara) and it seemed to work. Our normal nap time routine includes me (or Paul or Darci) putting George in his crib at 1pm with his milk, pacifier, pillow, and blanket. He is usually quiet for about ten minutes and I am hopeful that he is asleep (really he is just drinking his milk). Then I hear a loud bang (George throwing his sippy cup across the room) and the party begins. He seriously has so much fun in his crib, it is hard not to laugh when you hear him. The main thing that George doe
s is hold on to the side of his crib (after he has thrown everything out of it) and jump (like the kid in the pic) and scream with delight. He also has long and loud conversations during which he will hold his hand (aka his telephone) up to his ear. Other times he will start banging on the wall by his crib, unfortunately this is the wall that he shares with my office making it difficult to concentrate. Normally this will go on for about 30-40 minutes and then I will go in to find that he needs his diaper changed. I will change his diaper, put everything back in his crib and we start the whole routine over again. Sometime he will go to sleep at this point but lately it has just been the beginning of party time round two. Anyway, Lara suggested that I just give him some books to read in his crib to give him a bit of wind down time. So today when I went in to change his diaper after the first thirty minutes of his nap (I don't know why he can't go to the bathroom before he is put down but even if I put him down late he doesn't go until he is put down) and put everything back in his crib and gave him some books to read. I heard him immediately throw his pacifier out of the crib and thought this isn't going to work and he isn't going to go to sleep but I decided to just leave him and I went into my bedroom, shut the door, and curled up with a good book. I heard him play for a while but I eventually went to sleep and when I woke up I was surprised to find that he was asleep. I was really surprised because I didn't think that he could go to sleep without his pacifier but now I realize that maybe the reason that he throws everything out of his crib is because he doesn't want it in there and if I would just stop going in and putting everything back in he would go to sleep much quicker.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Nap time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Family Photo Booth Pic
9 comments:
Amy I am busting up laughing at this. I say who cares if he actually goes to sleep. Every kid is differant and maybe he just needs his own type of quiet time. (HA HA) I would pull the crib away from the wall so you can work though.
So you fell asleep while reading "Twilight" How could you I thought we were friends! BTW how do you like it so far....? I was going to bring it over yesterday (forgot) but I guess you've got Lara's copy.
That's so funny that George throws everything out of his crib, because lately Ruby has been doing the exact same thing! John and I usually put her down with about 3 or 4 pacifiers scattered throughout her crib; and by the time we go in to get her up from her nap, we find most of them scattered throughout her room!
That is pretty funny. I love hearing all these stories. I guess the nap time struggles never end.
Your stories have been the highlight of my day all week. It is hillarious, well at least from the outside. And it is so George which makes them even funnier! Man, I miss that kid I can't wait to see him and Charlie of course.
Go George! I think that kid is a kick in the pants. :) Kudos to you Amy, for being willing to try new things. I think its best to keep that kid on his toes. (quite literally, he really loves walking on his toes)
Ella has days where she sleeps and days when she doesn't and she always just stays in her bed and knows that she can't get out and play. She usually has a toy or just talks and sings to herself for 2 hours. But if she does sleep my spirits are up and I am ready to face the crazy part of the day! That is funny.....each kid has their own little "thing"! Too funny!
Well, I had my daily chuckle reading about your adventures with George. He is fun!
That is so funny! I'm glad that Lara's solution worked. When your baby stops napping, it's a sad time. But I'm glad you've got it under control now.
Post a Comment