Monday, May 19, 2008

Hi, I George

I know that the use of caveman grammar is not totally unusual amongst almost-three year-olds but once George adds his unusual intonation, the volume of his voice and misplaced confidence to his caveman speech he begins to strongly resemble George of the Jungle. George always refers to himself as "George" or "Georgie" and never uses the words "me" or "mine." George doesn't say, "that's mine" he says, "it Georgie's, not Charlie's, Georgie's." Recently George has started to use the word "I" and has no problem going up to complete strangers and saying, "Hi, I George." In fact, he usually introduces himself this way to the people he sees nearly every day (his nanny and cousins). Tonight Darci and her soon to be husband came over on a tandem bike and George said, "I big" and insisted on taking his turn on the bike (pics coming). He also tells me on a nearly daily basis, "I strong, I big Georgie strong." It is hard to believe that only a year ago (pre-speech therapy) George's vocabulary consisted of a mere six words.

I know that caveman grammar is nothing to worry about and is just part of the natural development of his speech, besides as Clarence Darrow once said, "Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak it to?

6 comments:

Lydia said...

I love younger children's vocabulary. Your post reminded me of when my son turned four, he suddenly referred to himself in third person. I don't think the word "I" or "me" ever came out of his mouth the entire year. It would get pretty funny when he would get angry and frustrated and still refer to himself as Tommy. I started to get a little worried that he wouldn't go back to first person, but he finally came out of it a few months ago.

nicole said...

I love that little Georgie! He is a riot!

Ruby says "mine" alot (something she undoubtedly picked up in nursery), but she also does what George does and says Booby's cracker, Booby's juice, Booby's movie...it's pretty funny, especially since she still can't say "Ruby".

I know it's just a stage that they go through, but to be honest, it makes me sad to think that pretty soon, they'll be grown out of it.

Charlotte said...

I love the way George calls himself "Georgie." He will quickly grow out of it and then it will be but a fond memory. I love they way toddlers speak. Too cute!

Jaci said...

Oh how I will miss the funny saying in my house as my children get older. Salimon always says "Sal and I" and we keep telling him you are Sal you mean "Jax and I" Someday he will get it and I will miss it.

Brooke said...

He is so funny! I thought it was hilarious when he would refer to himself in the third person when he was here.

Lindsay said...

George is too cute! I love the caveman talk.


Family Photo Booth Pic