Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Blogging etiquette?

If someone asks a question on your blog are you supposed to comment back on the same post on your own blog (allowing all other readers to see the comment), or leave a comment on the blog of the person who asked the question, or respond via email to the person who left the question? I have seen it done all three ways and am just wondering if there is blogger etiquette for such things.

5 comments:

Tyra said...

I am not a blogger so I really don't know blogger etiquette; however, my thought is that you respond with a comment on the same post on your own blog. If all readers are allowed to see the question they should get to see the answer. I mean if it is a private question it probably wouldn't be asked for all to see, right?

Lindsay said...

I agree with Tyra. I don't know the etiquette, but other people might have the same question so answering on your own blog could be helpful to all!

La said...

I second that or third it. whatever. I think that it is cute that you are concerned with blogging etiquette. :)

Anonymous said...

I draw a parallel to discussion boards in the classes I teach online. If it's helpful/informative to others, then I think it's appropriate to post with a comment on your own blog.

If it detracts or isn't related to your central discussion/posting, then I think it's more appropriate to contact the person directly and 'offline'.

For example, if a student asks that I clarify a particular theory and it will likely help other students in class, I'll post a response to everyone. If I think it will just confuse other students, then I'll respond directly via email.

My two cents... :)

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that you are concerned about blogging etiquette. In fact it makes me smile. Blogger comments can easily be anonymous by using crazy made up names. Blogger comments can say anything they want in any way creating any name including using their own. Why in the world of blogging would you want to restrict it with ETIQUETTE?


Family Photo Booth Pic